Openbravo Forum End of Life Notice

Dear Openbravo Forum User,

Because of continued very low usage we decided to stop the forums on 31st of August 2017

In case of questions: webmaster "at" openbravo.com

Scope Definition and Prevous work review

<<

Eduardo Williams

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:34 am

Scope Definition and Prevous work review

Hi Everone,

We are starting this project with the main goal of bulding a module connector that could integrate Magento e-commerce platform as the Openbravo e-commerce extention platform. We are convinced that Openbravo is the best opensource ERP and that MAGENTO is the best opensource e-commerce platform, so there is no way this integration should not be there and I am sure this would result in an awsome solution =) ,

So what I am proposing is to

1. Have a brainstorm of what would be the ideal integration points and as a whole!, dream, wish!.. we will later prioritize.  (2 WEEK FROM NOW)

2. Prioritize them  ¿Anywork done before?  (1 WEEK)

3. Create a roadmap and project plan. (1 WEEK)

So lets begin with the first point!! I would love to hear you guys!,  WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE THIS INTEGRATION TO DO¡¡????

<<

Eduardo Williams

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:48 am

RE:Scope Definition and Prevous work review

I will start my self with my own opinion with what I think it should cover

• Stock sync in both ways  (Shuld be able to consider not just stock but available products considering those being prepared at the warehouse )

• Sales order on-line creation (Magento -> Openbravo)

• Online Product catalog syncronization ( Openbravo -> Magento )

• Name, Key, Barcode, Attributes, Pictures (is going to be a hard one) , ¿what else?

• ¿Product Categories?

• Payments Options

• Customer Sync (Magento -> Openbravo)  (Openbravo -> Magento ????)

• Price Lists and Price List Schema (Any ideas on how to map them between both systems??)

...WHAT ELSE???

<<

Michael Theis

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:36 am

Hi,

from a current Magento project here some comments (unfortunatly not Openbravo):

In Magento your have a hierarchie.

You can have multiple:

- WebSite (like a shop)

- Store (different categories in one shop)

- Store View (for different languages, layout etc)

- Customer Groups

Products can be global or per WebSite. One Product can have different prices in different stores

To your opinion: 

• Name, Key, Barcode, Attributes, Pictures (is going to be a hard one) , ¿what else?

--> nearly all attributes as EAV (Entity-Attribute Value), so the number of attributes is          generic, you also have attribute groups and attribute sets in magento

--> for every attribute you need

attribute_code (unique small characters, not visible to customer)

use_in_shop_by (used for filtering option)

use_in_sorting (used as sorting option)

additional you can use:

Set Product as New from/to Date per WebSite

Special Price

Special Price From/To Date

Cost

Tier Price

Tax Class

Meta Tags

Active From/To

Upselling

Cross Selling

• ¿Product Categories? --> there are one or more category-trees in Magento, every Store connects to a tree (part)

• Customer Sync (Magento -> Openbravo)  (Openbravo -> Magento ????) --> Customers can change their data in Magento

• Price Lists and Price List Schema (Any ideas on how to map them between both systems??)  --> map them to a WebSite or Store in Magento, there are also pricing rules

• Build all this as a Magento extension and make it also compatible to the enterprise version.

HTH

Michael

<<

Eduardo Williams

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:10 am

got this on tweeter.

@ewilliamsh any idea? -> Absolutely: Dream on for Openbravo... Meanwhile: http://ow.ly/16BV8 in prod + demos soon...

<<

Paolo Juvara

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:29 am

Great initiative!

Here is my input.

From an system architecture stand point, I think that the integration should be designed in such a way that:

1. Users deploy Openbravo and Magento independently

2. Users deploy an Openbravo module that implements the integration

3. The module should contain a background process that is responsible for executing the synch of data between the two systems. Using a background process allows you to schedule its automatic execution within Openbravo.

4. You might want to have more than one background process so that they can be scheduled indepedently at different intervales (for instance: you might want to synch orders and stock very frequently but products and price lists not so much)

From a functional architecture stand point, a very important issue is the mapping of the Magento hierarchy to the right concept in Openbravo.

I am not a Magento expert so I base this on the comments from mtheis below.

I suggest that you define an entity in Openbravo that defines the Magento store (if you have multiple web sites and multiple stores within those web sites, you will have multiple records in this entry).

For each magento store, you can then specify:

1. The list of business partner categories that you need to download from Openbravo to Magento

2. The default business partner category in Openbravo when a new customer is created in Magento and uploaded into Openbravo

3. NOTE: Openbravo only supports one business partner category; if Magento supports more than one through a tag-like mechanism, you might want to add a "Magento tags" additional attribute to the business partner in Openbravo to house this information as a flattened, comma separated list.

4. The list of product categories that you need to download from Openbravo into Magento

5. I would strongly suggest that Openbravo must be the source of truth for products and that this should be a one way synch only (no product definition allowed in Magento)

6. To support multiple categories in Magento, you might want to consider a tag approach similar to the one described above.

7. The price list / price list version to be used in Magento (again, I suggest that the prices are defined in Openbravo using a specific price list for e-commerce and propagated to Magento with a one way synch)

8. The organization and warehouse that you ship products from and that is used to for stock availability (NOTE: if you ship from more than one organization, then you need something more sophisticated that tells you where each product is located - perhaps you can leverage the Org Specific attributes in the Openbravo product master)

9. Payment methods allowed in the Magento store

10. Any other attribute of the order and invoice that you do not want to hard code (like document type, etc.)

Another interesting aspect is the integration with the payment gateway.

I see two options (in both cases, I assume that you will leverage the existing integrations with payment gateways in Magento rather than building a new one in Openbravo):

1. All orders are pre-paid (easy): when customers check out in Magento, the payment is executed and the order is uploaded in Openbravo as pre-paid. The fulfillment happens in Openbravo. This is what we do with POS and it works well for physical stores (the customer has the goods in her hands) but it might be problematic for ecommerce.

2. Orders are paid only when shipped (more complex to do but certainly more aligned with normal customer expectations):  when customers check out in Magento, the order is uploaded in Openbravo; when the order is shipped in Openbravo, Openbravo calls back Magento and Magento executes the payment.

Paolo

<<

Danilo Delizia

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was looking forward for a project like this. I would like to contribute at this project, it will be my first experience, so I will do my best.

In the last few months I was having a look on magento and openbravo how they are working and their backgrounds, so I was thinking how they can get connected an what can be connected.

My idea about the features the system should support is:

Stock sync

(Magento -> Openbravo) and (Openbravo -> Magento) Syncronizing stock quantities in both ways

(Openbravo -> Magento) Choosing products and quantities to deploy in magento (and synchronizing them)

Customer Sync

(Magento -> Openbravo) Maping user from magento to openbravo (with updates)

(Openbravo -> Magento) A customer can be selected to belong to magento system (in this case all the modification should be mapped in both ways)

Orders Sync

(Magento -> Openbravo) the order should pass to magento and the order management should be done from openbravo so this imply the payment proces: From Paolo -> Orders are paid only when shipped (more complex to do but certainly more aligned with normal customer expectations):  when customers check out in Magento, the order is uploaded in Openbravo; when the order is shipped in Openbravo, Openbravo calls back Magento and Magento executes the payment. (I had the same idea so I jus pasted it)

Price List Sync

(Openbravo -> Magento) this should be a mapping with relatives data updates

Looking forward to start contributing.

Something about my skills:

Working as a EDI consultant (Mapping data from different systems)

Good knowledge of java an databases.

Danilo

<<

Gbillou Gbillou

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:28 am

Hi there, i'm interested in joining any effort to integrate OpenBravo with Magento.

Please keep me in touch.

I'm experienced in java, databases and webservices, but have to learn many things about openbravo.

Hope to here from you soon.

<<

Gbillou Gbillou

Post Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:35 pm

Nothing new there? :(
<<

Danilo Delizia

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:52 pm

Have you already gave up with the project. I'm really interested...

News please :-(

<<

Rafa Roda Palacios

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:43 pm

You can find more references in this issue https://issues.openbravo.com/view.php?id=3155#bugnotes

Next

Return to Scope definition