Openbravo deployment without external help?

<<

burow michael

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:56 am

Openbravo deployment without external help?

Hello,
My company is thinking to deploy openbravo, we are currently using the trial for test issues.

I wonder if it's really possible to success without external help.
Indeed, during the trial, i met some blocking problems and it's difficult to solve them.

We are a small company of 10 persons, and even if i'm new user of openbravo, i already work with other ERP like SAP, and i know roughly how an erp work because i'm an engineeer in production-logistic.

Can you give me feedbacks of your experience maybe?
Or a point of wiew?
<<

Paolo Juvara

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Openbravo deployment without external help?

Michael,

we have a number of users of Community Edition that have self-implemented Openbravo, in many sectors, including manufacturing. So it is certainly possible. However, I would consider that a difficult challenge and I would not advise it to small and medium organizations who do not have the ability to have dedicate staff and invest the time to become a product expert.

An ERP, as you well know, is a complex application and implementing it correctly requires a very broad set of specialized skills, ranging from domain expertise, to business process change management, to project management and to product specific skills, both functional and technical. Having been an SAP users in the past might not be enough.

This is particularly true in the case of Openbravo for manufacturing where we provide a very powerful and flexible product but where this flexibility comes with some inherent complexity. I would argue that it is not in the best interest of a small organization like yours to invest in developing the expertise you need to succeed.

Openbravo Professional Edition, which is delivered through our partners, who have highly skilled and certified resources on staff that are able to provide that expertise, is designed to let you take advantage of this innovative and flexible tool, which is Openbravo, without the need to make that investment. It is therefore designed to reduce your cost of adoption and minimize your risks.

I am not saying that you cannot succeed but that perhaps this attempt is not the best usage of your time, which I assume is one of the scarcest resources you have. I wrote about this topic in a blog post some time ago (the post is old but the concept is still applicable):
http://paolojuvara.blogspot.com.es/2010 ... nline.html

Also, one of our partners once said: "If a dentist is not pulling her own teeth, why would a small business want to implement its own ERP?".

Please notice that I am here assuming that you want to implement the full manufacturing management solution. If your objective is to simply support the "basic" financial flows (accounts payable, accounts receivables, cash management, accounting, etc.), you should certainly be able to do it by yourself or with minimal external help.
In that case, you might want to consider Openbravo Basic Edition.

Hope this helps.

Paolo

Return to Open Discussion