Openbravo Forum End of Life Notice

Dear Openbravo Forum User,

Because of continued very low usage we decided to stop the forums on 31st of August 2017

In case of questions: webmaster "at" openbravo.com

New Selector: Try it on our test instance

<<

Rob Goris

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:09 pm

New Selector: Try it on our test instance

Selecting an object such as a business partner or product "on the fly" while editing a form is a frequent task. In the current ERP we support this by providing a UI Selector that lets you choose the object using filters in a popup. The solution we have used so far is very powerful but not very usable. Clearing filters is awkward and it does not support suggestions or any other assistance in speeding up the filtering process.

With the new UI Selector we believe these problems will be past tense. Using SmartClient technology we have built a UI Selector that makes use of suggestions (using live filtering) and applies column filtering in the grid.

We have created a test instance where you can play with the new selector.

Go to http://79.125.36.179/openbravo/web/org.openbravo.client.application/

Navigate to General Setup  > Examples > SelectorExample. Both Business Partner and Product have the selector enabled by clicking the selector button.

You can use the following keyboard shortcuts:

ctrl-enter opens the popup /layer

alt-arrow-down opens the suggestion dropdown

We intend to initially publish this as a commercial module and later open it up to the whole community as part of Openbravo ERP 3.0.

The new selector can be defined without programming. The definition is done in the application dictionary similar to windows and tabs. Selectors can be changed at runtime by a consultant without re-starting the system or re-compiling.

Post Edited by rgoris at 15/02/2010 16:01

Post Edited by rgoris at 02/08/2010 14:49

Post Edited by rgoris at 02/08/2010 14:53
<<

Rob Goris

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:46 pm

RE:New Selector: Try it on our test instance

Not directly related to the UI Selector but worth mentioning here as it is very powerful in this context, is the possibility to use attributes deeper down in the model for filtering. In the fourth column in the filter grid, you see Bank Name. Now Bank Name is not an attribute defined in Business Partner. Where did it come from?

Business Partner has a bankaccount, and bank account has a bank and bank has a name.

In the selector, this is defined as: bankAccount.bank.name and it can be used for filtering. This makes it possible to search e.g. for all business partners with an "ING" bank account, although the bank name is not directly defined in business partner.

You can add any attribute to the selector grid by using the dot notation to "walk through" the data model.

I am sure you will find a useful application for this!

<<

Martin Taal

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi Rob,

To add two more features, compared to the current selector:

- the new selector can be defined without programming. The definition is done in the application dictionary similar to windows and tabs.

- a selector can be changed at runtime by a consultant without re-starting the system or re-compiling,

gr. Martin

<<

Josep Mitjà

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:41 pm

Well done. This is a great job. My feedback is below with the following key to interpret it:

+ I like

- I don't like

? I have a question or doubt

+ The dynamic "search as you type" is great

+ Sorting ascending and descending by clicking in the title is very intuitive

o Maybe I would make the up and down triangles a little bit bigger. You might also want to consider (for consistency purposes) using the same icon that is used in the drop down menu

+ I like the fact that filter text ignores the case (and returns matches for both lower and upper case)

+ I like the fact you can select "columns". I like the fact that the selection you made is sticky.

? Does it stick across sessions for the same user?

? I think it is counterintuitive that the column selector appears on a drop down menu associated to each Title

- The "Freeze" and "Unfreeze" icons are not very illustrative. Maybe a "lock" icon would be more intuitive. By the way, what is "Freezing" supposed to do? I could not figure it out.

- I don't understand what the funnel icon on the right means or is used for

? How does it work with thousands of records? Is it still usable? Is the speed acceptable?

? Maybe in those cases there is the need to support boolean operators in the filter box (Eg. Product Category = "ceramics" or "supplies")

? When the filter text is filled-in, shouldn't the "x" become full red as opposed to remain "fade-out" red?

? At some point a alert triangle (with a ! sign in the middle) appeared next to the filter text box. I was not able to interpret what it meant.
<<

Dmitry Mezentsev

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Hi Rob,

I played a bit with it and its cool.

Really great job!

<<

John Fandl

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:34 pm

Awesome!

RE:

Navigate to Application Dictionary > Examples > SelectorExample and double click a grid item to open the form view.

Both Business Partner and Product make use of the new selector.

it seems to have moved here in the menu tree:

General Setup > Examples > SelectorExample and double click a grid item to open the form view

John Fandl

<<

Martin Taal

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi John,

Sorry, my mistake, I am changing the setup a bit as indicated by Paolo. I moved it back to the original location as indicated by Rob.

gr. Martin

<<

Martin Taal

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:13 pm

Hi All,

The login has changed: selector with password: test

This user has only a few menu options, the selector test is now available under: general setup > examples.

The business partner and product selector have also been enabled for the sales order header and line. The simple and standard sales order entry windows are part of the menu of the selector user.

gr. Martin
<<

Martin Taal

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi Josep,

Thanks for the feedback! Here a reaction on the - and ? topics:

? Does it stick across sessions for the same user?

MT>> Not yet, client side state saving is certainly a high-prio topic. If an end user can store his/her configuration then we can offer a very 'broad' system and let each end-user customize to his/her own needs. 

? I think it is counterintuitive that the column selector appears on a drop down menu associated to each Title

MT>> This is currently standard Smart Client behavior, but I understand what you are saying that in the header of a column you can also enable/disable other columns. 

- The "Freeze" and "Unfreeze" icons are not very illustrative. Maybe a "lock" icon would be more intuitive. By the way, what is "Freezing" supposed to do? I could not figure it out.

MT>> Freeze puts the column on the left and places a horizontal scroll bar for the remaining columns. This is usefull when there are many columns. 

- I don't understand what the funnel icon on the right means or is used for

MT>> Currently filtering happens while you type, this can also be done through this icon, however in the current setting (filter-as-you-type) it has no real meaning. I will check if it can be removed.

? How does it work with thousands of records? Is it still usable? Is the speed acceptable?

MT>> Both the suggestion box as well as the grid are paged grids. So even if you filter it will only return 50 records at a time. 

? Maybe in those cases there is the need to support boolean operators in the filter box (Eg. Product Category = "ceramics" or "supplies")

MT>> Yes, even more if the number of records in a table is small it can almost be seen as a list/enumerate and then a listbox makes sense. We could signal this on table level (high-volume, low-volume, mid-volume) and use this to determine the best filter dialog. But this is future 

? When the filter text is filled-in, shouldn't the "x" become full red as opposed to remain "fade-out" red?

MT>> Yes this was also pointed out by Rob. We have not yet found a way to do this, this because we make use of some standard Smartclient icon handling here. But it is for sure a topic which will be re-visited.

? At some point a alert triangle (with a ! sign in the middle) appeared next to the filter text box. I was not able to interpret what it meant.

MT>> Solved

gr. Martin

<<

Rob Goris

Post Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:58 pm

(comment from Rafa in other thread)

Hi Martin and Rob,

I'm also worried about breaking with the current functionality since many people is used to it. For instance:

1. A business partner is selected, I click on the Business Partner selector icon and all business partners are shown, instead of this single one.

2. Typing the business partner search key, clicking Enter and getting the business partner selected if only one row exists speed up a lot the data entry.

Just my 2 cents :)

Rafa

Next

Return to User Experience Lab